Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Danang: Glad not to have skipped

Danang wasn't supposed to be a good city for backpackers.  I had gotten off here on my way down, but immediately took a taxi to nearby Hoi An, which, I could tell, all the other backpackers were doing.   I instead was going to get a cheap room in Danang and then find the next available train to Hanoi.  I took a taxi to the Prince hotel, listed in my lonely planet.  It was cheap and located close to the downtown area.  Danang didn't look especially different than the other mid sized Vietnamese towns, except it was supposed to be the 3rd largest city in the country.  That is some population bell curve slope.  I wasn't able to check into my hotel until 10 AM, which was understandable, so I left my bag there and walked around to scour out some delicious, hearty breakfast.  I was absolutely feeling something along the lines of Waffle House.  I wanted something that sizzled with a southern accent.  My lonely planet said there is a place that serves Biscuits and Gravy  called "Bread of Life".  It wasn't far.  I happily skipped the entire way.  Then, tragedy struck--it was closed on Sundays.  I was nearly devestated.  I walked into a vietnamese coffee place next door and sat down, ignoring the penetrating stares of the local men playing a chess like game with oversized pieces that looked to be made by Fischer Price.  I don't understand why there are so many Vietnamese coffee-tea places that only serve drinks.  I always want some food with my coffee.  I hung out there for a bit, then walked around for an incredibly long time, looking for another breakfast place.  I did so many laps around the neighborhood I worked up an even greater hunger; eventually I gave up and went to a place that had random mixed dishes in a buffet style cart that are served on a bed of rice.   It was fine.  They were nice and they didn't seem to laugh at me too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment