Thursday, October 28, 2010

Beijing: Tianamen Scams

10-18
Today I got up to miserable and cold rain.  It was like Chairman Mao had become the moon, was frozen, and is now thawing.  I went over to the cafe for the FREE breakfast.  I ended up running into Pieter and this Australian guy in the cafe;  the three of us decided to walk down to Tianamen Square and give our regards.   It was pretty ok.  A super large space--I tried to imagine what it would have been like with those tanks, but the weather really made it tough, as I was hiding like a turtle in his shell, in my rain shell, which was also green.  A chinese couple came up to us speaking English and tried to scam us into going to one of those tea shops with them.  It was satisfying to have a brush with attempted Chinese crime and escape.






After Tienamen Square we retreated back to the hostel, defeated yet again by the bad weather.  At least on the way back, we were able to stop for some more Bao Zi.  We are crazy fans of the Bao Zi: steamed bread with a surprise filling.  Sometimes you have to be careful though, because one of the BaoZi's is more like a BaoZi-Grenade as it is filled with soup.
I stayed around the hostel that night--most people were kept in because of the weather, so someone put on the new Karate Kid movie.  It was only fitting because it takes place in Beijing.  It seemed pretty accurate.  They totally showed all the touristy stuff I had just seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment